Evaluating Standardized Child Welfare Training in California (Common Core)
In collaboration with our In-Service Training Coordinating Partners, CalSWEC supports the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategic plan to evaluate the California Common Core Curricula.
Here you will find a variety of reports and resources, including:
- past and current strategic plans for training evaluation,
- results of the evaluation, and
- resource materials to assist in conceptualizing an evaluation of a complex training program.
A password-protected site is also accessible for the evaluation leads at CalSWEC's coordinating partner organizations. The Macro Evaluation Team, a subcommittee of the Statewide Training and Education Committee (STEC), guides the evaluation of the Common Core.
Training Evaluation Reports
Included in this section are reports for trainers and county/regional training administrators and for the CalSWEC Board of Directors. Additionally, a primer for use of the training evaluation data is included.
- Statewide Report for Trainers and County Administrators: Analysis of Common Core Data, June 2013
- Report to the CalSWEC Board, February 2014: Secondary Analysis of Child Welfare In-Service Training Data Comparing Title IV-E and non-Title IV-E Graduates
- Using the Results from the California Common Core Evaluations: What Training Evaluation Can (and Can't) Tell Us)
Strategic Plans for Child Welfare Training Evaluation in California
You will find entire strategic plans for child welfare training evaluation in California or brief versions of them here.
With oversight by the Statewide Training and Education Committee (STEC) and the assistance of national experts Cindy Parry and Jane Berdie, the Macro Evaluation Team, a subcommittee of STEC, developed the original framework for training evaluation in California that would provide a chain of evidence about the effectiveness of training. With support from the Macro Eval Team, national experts, and county/regional training partners, CalSWEC has developed subsequent strategic plans for evaluation of the California Common Core Curricula.
- Strategic Plan(s) for Child Welfare In-Service Training Evaluation
- Training Evaluation Framework Report (Published in 2004: Details Initial Strategic Plan, 2004-2009)
- Evaluation of the California Common Core for Child Welfare Training: Implementation Status, Results and Future Directions (Published in 2009: Details Current Strategic Plan, 2009-2012)
Training Evaluation Resources
These resources were developed by CalSWEC with assistance by national experts in training evaluation Cindy Parry and Jane Berdie. They provide technical assistance and guidance for various aspects of development and implementation of training evaluation instruments and procedures.
- Teaching for Knowledge and Understanding as a Foundation for Evaluation
- Writing Curricula at the Skill Level as a Foundation for Embedded Evaluation
- Moving from Teaching to Evaluation: Using Embedded Evaluation to Promote Learning and Provide Feedback
- Steps in Designing Embedded Evaluation
- Embedded Evaluation Planning Worksheet (California)—for Child Maltreatment Identification at the Skills Level of Learning
For more information on all aspects of in-service training evaluation:
Melissa Connelly, Director, Child Welfare In-Service Training Project